Every 2 minutes someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted
1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime
- 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- 2.78 million men in the U.S. have been victims of sexual assault or rape
- College age women are 4 times more likely to be sexually assaulted
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12
- 7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused
Victims of sexual assault are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression.
- 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
- Get more information on the effects of sexual assault here.
Approximately 73% of rape victims know their assailants
- 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
- 28% are an intimate.
- 7% are a relative.
- Only 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail
(Information from RAINN)